Sunday, April 24, 2011

Spring has finally Sprung!!!!

All this rain has finally paid off and everything is bursting out in color!!!  Of course we can't mow...waaay tooo much water on the ground...if it was dry enough we could bail the grasses for my horses!  But...we have more rain coming all week!!!!

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Rain..Rain...go away....

Here it is almost the end of April and we are still having rain....will be over six inches by Monday and then more rain all week.  Makes it very dreary painting in my studio in the basement because the sump pump is in a room behind my desk and you just hear running water 24/7....sooo soggy sounding!!! 

Just finished a piece that will be in the next issue of SDP's Decorative Painter...sorry no teasers, can't show off the all will just have to wait.

Will be starting on a new series of fairies...doing the seasons.  Will post as I get them done.  Also have lots of surfaces that are screaming for something to be painted on a fairy kind of mind so that is where the designs will head most likely.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

"Ugly Duckling"

This poor guy was rescued from the garbage by my brother-in-law.  His head had been broken off, glued and then duck taped back on and then a square nail had been driven through the top of his head.  the duck tape came off pretty easy, sanded the glue (was probably gorilla glue form the amount of it) off.  His entire body was painted with white enamel paint, along with his eyes. That took alot of elbow grease to get off...but now.... He is a beauty!!!
He was originally a magazine submission but it got nixed as there were concerns of the availability of the surface for the he may become a pattern packet instead....

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Watercolor Fairies
the first one, or two, are my very first try at watercolor paints, I used gold leaf on his wings (which I don't think is visible in the photo) and instant coffee grounds in the tree to add to the texture (like using salt).  The last one I used irredescent paint on the pearls in her hair and the chambered nautalis behind her head.  I used a heavy layer of salt on the background for the watery effect.